Thursday, January 26, 2012

Michael Daisey & The Apple Factory


I'm a big fan of This American Life and if you haven't discovered this site yet you are missing out! It's really MUCH more interesting than anything I've ever watched on TV. I've been listening to Ira Glass for about 4 years now as he's been broadcasting a new topic every week.

I've been a little behind but on January 7th this episode aired and it touched me in a way I never expected. If you've been on the internet at all you must have heard all the news that went out about how the factory in Shen Zhen, China FOXCONN has very poor labor regulations and employees have been committing suicide. Well before you dismiss this episode and say you've heard it all just give it 2 mins of your time. The story is told by Michael Daisey who is known best for his monologues. He tells us his story about how his love of Apple products leads him to travel himself to Shen Zhen and see the birthplace of his coveted devices.

You must listen to believe it for yourself.





About 75% through I was on my bus ride to work this morning and it broke me down to tears. No radio show has ever done this to me.


Update: CNN Interviews a woman who works at Foxconn as she holds a fully assembled iPad for the first time.



No comments:

Post a Comment